Readers did you that many of those taking up beds at RDH really should not be there. The Trust has been informed from several sources within NT Health that many patients do not follow medical instructions that would keep them out of hospital. Yes we are talking about seriously sick individuals not following the instructions of a medical doctor.
Here are some examples that have been given to us:
- Not going for regular treatment that would allow the individual to stay at home.
- Not taking medication that has been prescribed.
- Incorrectly taking medication that has been prescribed.
- Not making appropriate lifestyle changes in relation to legal substance abuse.
- Traveling away from access to regular treatment.
These recalcitrant individuals are taking up beds. Then we add the complexity of comorbidity.