An interesting report!
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE IN EAST ARNHEM
A REPORT THAT COST $0.20. HYLTON HAYES IN HIS ‘TENDER’ WAS CHARGING $19 000.00.
Factors Affecting Attendance
Travelling to other communities
Moving to private boarding schools
Inaccurate recording of partial attendances
The dry and wet season
Some Factors that Hylton Hayes Likes to Focus On
No Posters in Classrooms
A whole bunch of graphs showing that students are not at school.
Living in a remote community does not really have to relate to education. There are very few jobs and most people do not want to leave. What real incentive is there to attend school?
However in saying this, it is known that a good teacher can improve attendance by having positive relationships with the community.
- Do not hire friends of Eva Lawler to investigate anything.
- Do not hire ex directors whose performance was questionable.
- Focus on quality teaching not politics and intrigue in schools.
- Remove school principals who bully their staff.
- Use transparent processes that do not have a perception of corruption.
- Consult with people in communities.
- Change what is not working.
- Consider the fact that bi-lingual education may be a viable alternative.